Session #6: Having a Plan for Keeping Your Home Clean
Do you need a little help in organizing your house and keeping things clean? Marci shares her wisdom from her year's of experience as a homemaker and gives you the practical tools you need to create realistic homemaking routines.
“Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.”~ Colossians 3:23-24
“Caring for our homes can be a bit overwhelming. We don’t have to feel enslaved by our daily tasks when having a plan in place can help us be in control.”
What is in My Homemaking Binder:
- Morning Routine List
- Evening Routine List
- Zone Cleaning Schedule
- Zone Cleaning Detailed Checklists
- Weekly Home Blessing
- 5 Minute Chore List
- Kids Chore List
Quick Overview of Zone Cleaning:
- Break your home down into Zones. List all the rooms in your house and combine them into various zones. (I have 5 you may only need 4).
- An example of one zone may be your kitchen and laundry room.
- Each week spend at least 15 minutes a day in the Zone of the week
- Keep a detailed cleaning list of the various rooms in your homes.
- Use my sheets in this handout as a guideline. Customize them for your home.
- Day One in a Zone is a good day to declutter and tidy the rooms you are working in that week.
- Use a timer to keep yourself on task.
- Start your morning off with a specific task to get your day moving in a forward direction. An example would be make your bed or start a load of laundry.
- Always try to make your bed daily.
- Keep up with dishes after every meal. Try to go to bed without dishes in the sink.
- Put things away where they belong when you’re done using them. Teach your children this one too.
- Never let clothes pile up. Put laundry away before the end of the day. No piles of clothes in the bedroom.
- Take the time to figure out a home filing system so paperwork doesn’t build up. (See My Simple Home Filing System).
- Have a spot at your backdoor where family members can easily remove shoes and coats with a place to put everything.
- Clean as you go about your day. Spot on the counter? Wipe it. Crumbs on the floor? Vacuum them up. It is much easier to do it as you go along instead of waiting until these messes become overwhelming. (See Where to Begin When You’re Overwhelmed).
- Continually declutter as you are tidying areas. Remember clutter can’t be organized.
- Have some sort of cleaning system in place.
Bonus tip – Before you leave a room, take two minutes to tidy it up.
“This job has been given to me to do. Therefore, it is a gift. Therefore, it is a privilege. Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God. Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him. Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God’s way. In this job, not in some other, God looks for faithfulness.” ~ Elisabeth Elliot
Helpful Book Links:
More Hours in My Day by Emilie Barnes
Sink Reflections by Marla Cilley
The Christian Homemaker’s Handbook by Dorothy Patterson
Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine
The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaffer
Blog Post Links:
Marci's Home Management Binder
Kids Chore List https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Kids+Chore+List+Ideas+and+5+Minute+Chore+List.docx
Monthly Tasks https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Monthly+Tasks.docx
Weekly Home Blessing https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Weekly+Home+Blessing.docx
Zone 1 https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Zone+1+Detailed+Cleaning+List.docx
Zone 2 https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Zone+2+Detailed+Cleaning+Schedule.docx
Zone 3 https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Zone+3+Detailed+Cleaning+List.docx
Zone 4 https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Zone+4+Detailed+Cleaning+List.docx
Zone 5 https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Zone+5+Detailed+Cleaning+List.docx
Zone Cleaning Schedule https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/homemakingministriesonlineconference2015/Marci%27s+Home+Management+Binder/Zone+Cleaning+Schedule.docx
About Marci Ferrell
Marci is a lover of the Lord Jesus Christ, married to her husband Doug for over 29 years, mother, and grandmother. She is here by God’s grace and overwhelmed by His kindness in redeeming her as His daughter. You can find her blogging about loving her husband, children and grandchildren, bible study, reading, sharing her faith, home keeping, cooking, sidewalk counseling, and making lists at Thankful Homemaker.
Jump to Another Session:
Access all your bonus downloads - the printable home management binder, conference notebook, and more!
Session #1: The Ministry of Homemaking
Welcome to the first session! To kick off this year's conference, join me as we discuss what it means to focus on our homemaking as a minist...
Session #2: Recovering Biblical Homemaking
Being a homemaker who loves and cherishes her home is not something we see very often these days. What happens when we go back to the Bible ...
Session #3: Homemaking and Working from Home
Caroline is a mom who works from home, has 6 kids, and manages a growing home. How does she do it? Is it possible to work from home and be a...
Session #4: Homemaking - The Juggling Act
Jennifer is here with us for the 4th session to share what it looks like when homemaking is a juggling act. As a wife, homemaker, and mom to...
Session #5: Saving Time and Money in the Kitchen
Here are Jami's very best tips for saving time, energy, and money in the kitchen while also serving her family healthy meals from her kitche...
Session #6: Having a Plan for Keeping Your Home Clean
Do you need a little help in organizing your house and keeping things clean? Marci shares her wisdom from her year's of experience as a home...
Session #7: Prayer in Homemaking
In this video I will give you a brief introduction to the course, my life, and our family's journey towards hospitality. Get ready to dive i...
Session #8: Finding Joy in Homemaking
Why is it hard to find joy in homemaking? Hilary Bernstein helps encourage homemakers to remember that they’re glorifying God with their h...
Session #9: Spiritual Disciplines for the Busy Homemaker
As busy homemakers, what things during our day should we take the time to focus on? In this session, Jami explores the Biblical basis behind...
Session #10: Calm Your Chaos
Learn how setting your priorities, setting your mornings & setting up simple systems can restore the peace that your home has been missing. ...
Session #11: Unrealistic Expectations in Marriage
Marriage is really hard work sometimes! Amidst a sea of unrealistic and unmet expectations, not communicating our needs, and have difficulty...